SHAREBROS

Everybody Hates the New Google Reader, Especially The People Who Designed Google Reader

google reader enlarged1 Everybody Hates the New Google Reader, Especially The People Who Designed Google Reader

"WELL I'VE BEEN/AFRAID OF/CHAAAAAAANGING/BECAUSE I'VE/BUILT MY RSS AROUND YOU."

Google Reader—trusty stead of many a professional blogger, researcher, and text-obsessed office drone—has gone and gotten itself its hair did. Google gave Reader a makeover; imagine Michael Jackson’s skin pigmentation efforts delivered through G+ after only having ever seen the “Billy Jean” video, and you have yourself an idea of what the change is akin to. The people, let us tell you, are not happy. A sampling?

Google Reader is causing chaos in the streets!

lisanti on google reader e1320250078998 Everybody Hates the New Google Reader, Especially The People Who Designed Google Reader

Google Reader is making website editors type in ALL CAPS!

willa on google reader e1320250113474 Everybody Hates the New Google Reader, Especially The People Who Designed Google Reader

Google Reader’s face is under assault!

taking it to the google reader face e1320250139632 Everybody Hates the New Google Reader, Especially The People Who Designed Google Reader

Google Reader is upsetting people on other sides of the world with less freedom than America!

iranians on google reader e1320250169440 Everybody Hates the New Google Reader, Especially The People Who Designed Google Reader

Google Reader is giving people an awful case of the sadface!

sadface on google reader e1320250193861 Everybody Hates the New Google Reader, Especially The People Who Designed Google Reader

Google Reader is causing Twitter rage, resulting in ALL-CAPS bad words!

ace on google reader e1320250235285 Everybody Hates the New Google Reader, Especially The People Who Designed Google Reader

The agony! Google Reader is causing many negative emotions! How can they do such a thing? And why are all of these people freaking out over an RSS Reader?

A former Google product manager on Google Reader named Brian Shih—who can basically lay further claim to the old face of Google Reader than any of these folks—actually blogged about it. And what does he think? Well, he titled his blog post “Reader redesign: Terrible decision, or worst decision?” Highlights, emphasis ours:

• “When you log into Reader, what the hell do you think your primary objective is? Did you answer ‘stare at a giant header bar with no real estate saved for actual reading’?”
  • “Taking the UI paradigm for G+ and mashing it onto Reader without any apparent regard for the underlying function is awful and it shows.”
  • “It’s almost as if Google wants to demonstrate that, yes, they don’t really get platforms.”
  • “After I left Google in July, I heard that there was renewed effort around the project and that a new team was bringing some much-needed attention to the product. I expected them to give the product a facelift, and integrate G+ — both things that needed to happen. But killing off functionality that could have easily been built on top of G+, and missing the mark by so much on the UI… and then releasing them under the guise of improvements?”

So, yes, everybody hates Google Reader. Do you hate Google Reader? Do you have any ways to markedly improve the experience or to help the world live in the past? Do you just need someone to talk to about this? Betabeat is here for you. Especially if you work at Google and have any insight to share with us about what it’s like to have everybody hate on your shit today.

Related: Everyone got too excited for the Gmail app on Iphone and now it’s broken.

Follow Foster Kamer via RSS.

Comments

1. unclenevin says:

I like it….

2. sont says:

Any way for me to revert back to the old version.  This would be a great opportunity for a UI designer to create some alternative skins for the Reader…. ‘sayin.

3. Bart says:

I wonder if the people who hate the new Reader haven’t been using the new Gmail? To me the new design just makes Google Reader more consistent, so I like it. My only real gripe is that it’s hard to see which item on the left is active (the red line/text isn’t enough contrast with icon colors and black bold text).

Other than that, I never cared about the Shared tab, so I didn’t look at what other people were sharing and I didn’t share much (and I use Twitter + share things on Facebook pretty extensively). With all the complaining, I was surprised that starring and Send to Instapaper still works.

4. Dirtetimo13 says:

I like it, but completely agree about the white space at the top. I didn’t think anyone else even used G-Reader. I was much more concerned about it being dropped.

5. It’s not THAT bad… It is pretty bad though.

6. Not the greatest design in the world, but it still saves me from checking a million sites a day for news. So for me, as long as Google Reader allows me to read a lot of content in one place, it will do. I’m not going to go punch a wall because of excess whitespace either.

7. Damama55 says:

I hate, Hate, HATE the new gmail set up.  I want the old version.  If it isn’t broken, why mess with it??????  I want the old version back, and I don’t like it that they are going to make the new change  even if we don’t want it.  I want the choice of having it or not, and I don’t, Don’t, DON’T want it ! ! ! !   I love gmail, but not the new version.

8. I agree,

FUCK THE NEW GOOGLE READER in it’s white space!
    Bullshit! It sucks! What am I supposed to read? W h i t e    s p a c e?
    What group of idiots could say, “Oh yeah, this is way better! Go team Really Stupid Shitheads!”
    I think when the beta launched at the office for the first time, all the white burned out the teams retinas so they just had to go with it.

9. I agree,

FUCK THE NEW GOOGLE READER in it’s white space!
    Bullshit! It sucks! What am I supposed to read? W h i t e    s p a c e?

10. David Pinto says:

I, too, hate it completely.
    I hate the way it totally destroyed the social features of google reader I used everyday. I shared posts with my google reader followers and they with me. Now I’ve lost all of that. I don’t know where they are or how to interact with them. I don’t use or care about google plus, its stupid and unecessary. I have facebook. I don’t need gplus. Why did they sacrifice greader for google plus? It’s dead! It’s pointless.
    My shares used to be exported automaticaly to twitter and facebook and now it doesn’t work. Now i have to press +1 (which is just slower and dumber than the old like because of that stupid G+ window) and I have to share every post individually to twitter or facebook which I hate, so I mostly don’t take the time to do it.
    I hate it with all my heart. I’m always very welcoming to changes and updates so this comes as a surprise to me. I was excited to know it would have a makeover but now I’m just sad it has become unefficient and stupid – broken. I’ve been searcing for alternatives. what do you suggest?
    WHY, GOOGLE? WHY?

11. Sharon says:

I hate it with a passion! My LABELS are gone – not all – but most. And so are the EMAILS attached to them….. God blast it all. *grrrrr* Google *grrrr*

1. Damama55 says:

Hi, Sharon.  It may look like they are gone, but when you go to the left of your emails, and scroll down, then you will probably see them.  Doesn’t look like it, but that is the way the new way works.  Still hate the look.  Today, it changed color, and I didn’t do it.  Another thing, when you click on an email, then little icons appear where the words used to be.  If you hover over the icons, then it says what they are for.  But, like I said before, if it ain’t broke–why did they try to fix it???  Thinking of going back to hotmail, and I hated hotmail.  LOL  because of the changes they made with it.  Anyway, hope this helps.  All the best.

12. Vladi says:

If you hate it, look for alternatives! Check out http://www.getwebreader.com a nice little Adobe Air app that let’s you read your rss feeds in peace :)