Cryptocurrency

Chuck Schumer Bashes BitCoin, Wants to Shut Down Silk Road Drug Site

silk road Chuck Schumer Bashes BitCoin, Wants to Shut Down Silk Road Drug SiteA secretive drug bazar delivering hard core highs to American school kids is bad enough. But when its operating using the untraceable digital currency known as bitcoin, politicians have to take action.

“Literally, it allows buyers and users to sell illegal drugs online, including heroin, cocaine, and meth, and users do sell by hiding their identities through a program that makes them virtually untraceable,” New York Senator Chuck Schumer said at a news conference Sunday.  He wants Silk Road, a website where users can purchase drugs using bitcoin, shut down immediately.

The simple truth is that bitcoin does lend itself to this kind of transaction, but was certainly not designed to facilitate money laundering or online drug abuse. Sadly, most of the public was introduced to bitcoin through Adrian Chen, the Gawker scribe who spotlighted Silk Road. “Making small talk with your pot dealer sucks. Buying cocaine can get you shot. What if you could buy and sell drugs online like books or light bulbs? Now you can: Welcome to Silk Road.”

“It’s a certifiable one-stop shop for illegal drugs that represents the most brazen attempt to peddle drugs online that we have ever seen. It’s more brazen than anything else by lightyears.”

Bitcoin is a digital peer-to-peer currency currently trading at about $9 to one bitcoin. Schumer described the process of converting dollars to bitcoins as, “An online form of money laundering used to disguise the source of money, and to disguise who’s both selling and buying the drug.”

New York Start-ups and Gadget Nerds – Win a Free Table at GDGT Live!

Follow Ben Popper via RSS.

Comments

1. Foo Bazzery says:

Bitcoin is a threat to the modern-day Bankster’s racket. That’s why they oppose the concept. Drugs is just the standard think-of-the-children distraction.

2. Foo Bazzery says:

3. Foo Bazzery says:

4. Ian says:

This is bullshit. This is a political tactic straight from the big banks to try and shut down Bitcoin because they know if it gets momentum they will lose money.

5. Hunter Cook says:

Maybe instead of blaming a grand conspiracy by the “banksters” we can find a simpler explanation. Like the fact that Chuck Schumer knows a lot about the financial system and macroeconomics, and he rightly sees that Bitcoin is at best founded on crackpot libertarian “economics” and at worst a total scam to enrich the creators and early adopters.

I know…too direct and simple an explanation. Must be a conspiracy.

6. Hunter Cook says:

I know…too direct and simple an explanation. Must be a conspiracy.

7. My Next says:

Pulling out the “think of the children” argument saddens me. Think of the adults. As really this is who would buy from there. Most kids will generally have a friend or 2 who they can go to, most of adults suppliers have long since quit and grown up!

Hopefully this will be a catalyses for a logical drug argument, rather then them just pulling down.

“if you’re gonna have a pro-drug argument, start the argument where it starts: I have the right to do what ever the hell I want to my own body, if it kills me slowly, happy for me” – doug stanhope

8. My Next says:

Senator Chuck Schumer must have got ripped off in a bad deal lol. People use ANYTHING to buy drugs like the US dollar. You’ll still have to have a face to face action to pick them up not like anyone can scan a pound of H and send it to you via e-mail.

10. Guest says:

….in the least it’s a way to keep people buying them off the streets and risking it that way. The people buying them here would be buying them on the streets without it anyway. Sad way to look at it, whatever, its the truth.  No drug virgin is going to figure out his way onto the site and buy it’s drug products with no further history of drug abuse. I’m not saying this to defend it or oppose it for the record.

11. Weedmaster says:

There are even more shops on tor, download tor browser bundle at torproject.org then go to the following urls:

and others on tor hidden wiki

12. I am now not certain where you are getting your information, however good topic. I needs to spend a while finding out much more or working out more. Thank you for magnificent info I was looking for this information for my mission.