Antisocial Media

Smear Story Source Speaks: Facebook Wanted to Stab Google in the Back

chris outside 2008 small Smear Story Source Speaks: Facebook Wanted to Stab Google in the BackPrivacy advocate Christopher Soghoian broke open the story of how Facebook tried to use global PR giant Burson-Marsteller to smear Google in the press. He was pitched to ghost-write the op-ed, but posted the email exchange online instead.

In his first interview since the story broke, he describes the strange chain of events, the laughable notion of Facebook criticizing anyone on privacy and how USA Today almost got the story wrong. What follows is a lightly edited transcript of a conversation.

So how did this all begin?

Well I wasn’t the only one who got this pitch to write an op-ed about Google, a bunch of privacy advocates here in D.C. did. But I was the one who decided to post it, and expose what was going on. I get pitches on a daily basis, but it’s usually a company talking how great their product, so this one made me immediately suspicious, even more so when they wouldn’t reveal who the were working for.

Did you agree with the argument about what Google was doing?

I would never have agreed to the pitch no matter what, but I was surprised at the case they were trying to make. I’m a fairly outspoken privacy advocate and there are many things Google does that are really bad on privacy, but this isn’t the thing that is keeping me up at night. It’s something that I had never really worried about.

So why did they come to you?

It seemed pretty clear what they wanted was my name and I could get away with as little work as possible, they would place it and ghost write, they would just use my name. Now that we know Facebook is behind this, I’m frankly shocked they would try and use me. I’ve had run in with Facebook before, found security flaws in their service before and called them out on policies like allowing advertisers to target people based on sensitive things like their sexuality.

So what was Facebook thinking?

I really think this was an attempt by one large company to stab a dagger in the back of a competitor. For five or six months Microsoft has been making noise about Google’s privacy problems. Microsoft was the first browser to include a do not track options, and they realized privacy is an area where they can compete with Google and get good press.

The difference is Microsoft can do it publicly, because they don’t have their own privacy problems. Facebook is no better than Google on these issues, so to make these attacks they have to hide behind these PR companies. If they tried it in public, under their own name, people would laugh in their faces.

Does this kind of thing happen a lot.

The way it works is some story breaks in the WSJ about some privacy problem and then a few weeks later the company is testifying to congress. USA today didn’t really reveal this, but they were basically in the very last stage of having a story a front page story ready to go, based on the letter from Burson-Marsteller. At the last minute they saw the email exchange I posted, and realized they had been bamboozled. Privacy makes headlines these days. If this story had been pitched to the WSJ, they would have laughed in their faces, but USA Today was a little more gullible.

Follow Ben Popper via RSS.

Comments

Should be interesting to see how that all turns out. Wow.

2. Byron Acohido says:

Chris Soghoian’s integrity is to be applauded. As one of the USA TODAY reporters who worked on the story, I’d like to clarify a major point. We were in the late stage of doing due diligence on allegations brought to us directly by Jim Goldman. Our reporting paid off. We got the story right.

3. ** applause ** ** applause ** as a fellow privacy advocate I applaud Chris Soghoian’s integrity and can just say Kudos! A story to brighten my day.

@csoghoian:disqus

is account on Twitter for anyone hoping to follow => @csoghoian

4. karen young says:

Young v. Facebook, Inc.Facebook Account Deletion Lawsuit
    Arbitrary and capricious user account handling
    Lack of customer service
    Lack of a real help department
    Blog information at -

Post your account problem or any messages sent
    or recieved by Facebook which you are having a
    problem with. Write you account deletion issues.
    Or, send a response to mskbyoungblog@aol.com
    Case currently pending in California District Court

Pathetic! The tech bloggers can’t even manage to zoom out and frame the real issue here and that issue is this:

There is a food-fight on between Facebook and Google and everyone of us and our privacy are the food.

And no one is making a mountain out of a molehill here. This really is a mountain of hurt for all of us in the long run.

As a society we have simply not yet grasped the serious and complex value of own privacy. Corporate DNA being what it is will force these large corporate profit machines to relentlessly push up against our privacy interest in order to maximize profits. We will continue to sellout our own privacy for a few free trinkets of convenience and a few free cheap App-bobbles until we all wise up to the real costs.

By then both the government DNA and the corporate DNA will have interbreed and mutated into yet another layer of plutocratic control that devalues and disengages the democratic machinery from the citizenry.

6. APai says:

Facebook is pathetic. avoid this company like plague!

7. CowHole says:

LOL FACEBOOK

tinyurl.com/297sxrk

vipshopper.us

10. Absolutely wonderful article. I wonder what will ever become of mankind. Seems like that quick and resourceful will outlive all of our smart people :) and thanks for posted!